Friday, October 22, 2010

Beginning

For many years, I've done crafting in the fiber arts. But for the past 3 months I've actively been working on developing and starting my own business. I decided to go professional with my work for several reasons. First of all, I want a new life. 11 years of teaching for very little pay at a community college, I was drained and burnt out. Second, after years of crocheting and knitting I have developed an expertise in stitching and crafting that I feel is suitable to offer for sale. Third, I've taken a gander of some of the other stuff that ' out there and my things are comparable or beyond. Fourth, I want to work independently doing something that I love and skilled at, because I do not want to depend upon a corporation or bureaucracy for income. Most importantly, the sheer delight and joy I get in working with yarn is just about unsurpassed from anything else id do. I think it is absolutely magical to turn a skein of yarn into a accessory or garment.


But, I've been discouraged. Yes, it's really hard having your own craft business. Most people in the USA don't appreciate the skill,work and expenditure involved in creating an art craft object. As a result, they're seldom willing to pay you for your expertise or wares. I'm trying not to stay stuck in frustration and to forge ahead. Many of my fellow artists have told me it takes at least 5 years to finally get a business fully operative. But I'm determined to do this sooner!



In the meantime, I'm trying to do this while looking for a job and keeping a "roof over my head. Currently, my finances are strapped and I have sparse resources. So, it is indeed magical for me to continue to embark on this journey. At times, I get so scared about his that I can't breathe. But I know, for so many reasons that I have to do this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment