Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Crafting Sutra


So far, I've written a lot about how I feel art craft is healing. At this time in my life if I didn't have art craft I don't know what I would do. I'm going through a really difficult time and for the most part I'm going through this alone. I like solitude but not isolation. But as of late I have been isolated. It's as if because of my present circumstances I've been rendered untouchable. It's hit or miss with the friends. Everyone has their reasons and excuses. But in the end I'm left alone to deal with my circumstance. So if I didn't have my knitting needles and crochet hooks I don't know what I would do!

I find making a pair of gauntlets, cowl is so empowering and beading an amulet bag is serenely healing. There are so many wonderful patterns and yarns. Sometimes I go crazy I want to do them all!! I view my yarn, knitting needles, crochet hook and beads as my paintbrushes.

I used to paint and I miss it immensely, but living in a small carpeted apartment does not lend itself to painting large canvases. So as the years have gone by, I have more or less stopped painting and drawing. As with any other skill, I feel I would have to rebuild them with practice.
many have suggested that I get back to painting and I would like to. But I know I have to access a different artistic voice to get there.

In the meantime, it's been really nourishing to my sol to knit and crochet. Being able to do these two things has literally and figuratively saved my life. Loneliness and despair has really been haunting me art craft has kept me in the light.

One of my patron Goddesses is Saraswarti. She's a Hindu Goddess and two of her basic qualities are wisdom and beauty. In my art craft I always strife to incorporate wisdom with beauty. I like to make my own patterns or to re-translate others so that I can make a pleasing hand made item.

Art craft is meditation prayer to and from my soul. A way for me to commune with my artistic spirit so that I can receive the healing and comforting I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment