Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Business of Art

Yes, it's cliche maintaining and growing a new business is not easy. But in many ways I think it might be more difficult for creative people.

When you create your product as opposed to mass production or importing, you have sole responsibility for productivity and profit. The key is how do you create quality innovative items, find a market for those items and produce enough for profit? Who your market is and how to create for them is always a constant balancing act.

The other problem a lot of artist have is finding and maintaining a good place to work i.e. studio. A lot of creative people such as myself have to work out of our home. But this is often not the optimal setup because there are constant inside and outside distractions or interferences. Ideally, I'd love to have a carriage house or a bigger place with a separate room to use for my studio. Years ago, I had a carriage house and this was the ideal place for me to work.

However, one of the major I've found is working with other creative people. Getting people to see eye to eye and to live up to their part of the business bargain can really be a problem. It seems to me that, artistic people are prone to romanticize and personalize their business partnerships.

As a result, I'm leaning towards working solo, because that way I'm in sole executor of the balancing act. Most importantly, I can continue to decide what type of products I want to create and chose my market and hopefully maintain quality with innovation and beauty.

I'm a fiber artist because I love creating with yarn, I love working with my hands and I know knitting/crocheting is a skill and an art. But in this present economy and working with limited resources I need to develop and maintain an optimal way for me to get and keep my business going.

I'm faced with having to work a day job. But I'm determined this time to not let eat me alive and drain me of my creative energy. I'm an artist and I want to "be" an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment