Sunday, November 14, 2010

Negotiating Bliss

The main thing I find annoying about being an artist is trying to survive in the real world. How do you neotiate with the world so you can "Follow your Bliss"

I didn't want to resign myself to taking another survival job that is the means to the end. But it's getting down to the wire for me and I might have to do that.

I hate working for corporations, bureaucracies and other people's businesses. maybe it's because as an African American woman I'm uber aware of the relationship of hierarchy and power. I can clearly see how people who are placed or but themselves in a position of authority usually end up trying to manipulate and yield power over others for their own benefit.

As I artist I can control my own destiny by doing something that I love and skilled at for profit. This is the ideal but in today's modern world the concept of art has been warped by the edit of for profit consumerism and materialism.

I've racked my brain to try and figure out what would be the best think to do. yes, I want to follow my Bliss. But doing so requires that I find a means to the ends that will help me to finance and maintain it without burning myself out or living in poverty. I'll let you know how I do with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment