Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Magic of Hand Crafting

Crafting for me is sacred work. I think it's mystical and magical to be able to take a ball of yarn and turn it into an object of art. It doesn't matter if you wear it or display it. The fact that a human hand mind, heart conceived of such a thing is ingenious to me. But now days our current modern society is so machine oriented most people have no concept of the human touch.

Today as I was thumbing through some textiles magazines, It's so clear that most textile fashion designers use knitting machines or other assistance. They rarely, if ever knit by hand or create the entire garment themselves.

On the other hand, I knit and crochet by hand. I'm trying to teach myself how to use a drop whorl spindle to make yarn and I do have a few small hand looms. But I have never used a knitting machine. I have pride and find solace in the feel of the yarn and my stitch work. I like the ebb and flow of a project in progress. For me it's wonderfully fulfilling when a piece comes out as beautiful as I imagined-Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment