Thursday, December 9, 2010

Perception

Perception, the way we see things through our mental processes and experiences shapes what we do, how we interact with others and posit them within collective cultural paradigm. Until recently, other than trying to do the things I need to do I've been a bit of a solitaire.

But, last night I decided to attend an event with one of the tarot guilds I belong too. They were doing a You Tube video presentation about the history of the tarot. Although, there were some parts of the video that were interesting for basic information and novelty value. I found a lot of the information antiquated, biased and ill informing. Why because it had strong overtones of white revisionist history regarding theories about the origin of tarot and contributions made by African people. I said as much during the discussion portion of the presentation, which I surmised offended the main presenter and perhaps confused a couple of others.

I have to get it in my head that people in the esoteric community are not unlike others in the general public when it comes to ignorance and fear, hatred or indifference about the historical reality of African/Black contributions to World History and Culture. For the most part when I speak on these things most people who are not of African/Black decent become very defensive or indignant. Often, silently fuming because something different has been added to the mix that they do not approve of.

In all my years studying pagan history I've found few writer's who have a non-stereotypical multi-cultural perspective. Yet, many self proclaimed pagan scholars insist upon using these tiring perspectives as factual evidence to develop their methodologies of practice. I find this problematic because it continues to perpetuate out worn stereotypes, adds misinformation and is stifling.It's really sad when people try to do this with the tarot because by it's nature it goes beyond the spectrum of one perspective.

True witches and wizards aren't tight asses! The core of the craft reflects nature;its fluid, flexible and adaptable. We draw and learn from everything around us. Yes, it's helpful to have a focal point to develop a foundation for basic information. But if that foundation is weak and we don't re-examine or periodically reconstruct it, then it becomes stagnant. To me tarot is a living esoteric art that thrives with diversity. I try to celebrate and utilize this as a gift for understanding on a broader and deeper level.

No comments:

Post a Comment