Saturday, December 25, 2010

ReCrafting

Yes, it's Christmas and I have to confess this is my least favorite time of year. Why? because for the most part it's too materialistic and fake. Plus, for me the Christmas season wreaks havoc on my emotional psyche.

These are tough economic times, so a lot of people including myself are looking for work or barely getting by financially. In spite of this, I try to stay up by doing my art craft. I enjoy it immensely, it calms and soothes my soul. Plus, it's part of my new business. I want to be self-sufficient, independent and live through my creative ventures.

This week I took samples of my work to two shops in an effort to sell them on consignment. But both of the store owners want me to sacrifice or spend more money than it was worth to have them sell my items. Many people fail to recognize the skill, time and money it takes to do hand knitting and crocheting.

Other than a few sporadic junctures it's been a slow go. So I continue to re-evaluate my business strategy so I can figure out what will be the best way for me to go. I need to develop items that I like to make and can sell to customers. At the same time I'm not willing to sacrifice my creative ethics or tailor my market by trends. I need to sell the craft items I have on hand, so I need to find a market for them, my niche. All of this is a constant balancing act, but I determined to forge ahead and get my business to grow in this New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment